Protect your AOL mail from phishing hacking
In a world we currently live in, we as a human community are facing a lot of challenges. Starting from poverty to global warming every issue has its own adverse effects on us. But the dangerous threat is the threat of one’s privacy and security. As the technology improvements are seen, the threats using those advancements are also increasing. When we take olden days, some decades back, there wasn’t such a threat to privacy or security. Why? Many of the people were not even using the word “Privacy” in their day to day lives. It’s because they were literally not affected by this issue.
Cyber threats are many like hacking websites, bank accounts, even social media accounts. But the recent trends of these phishers are to hack an email account. This is because the people are using one email account for many accounts. They would have the email linked with their social media, their schools, even their banks. So hacking an email account will give an upper hand to the hackers to deprive you of your privacy and get all the sensitive data. Therefore you should take very serious steps to overcome these threats.
Here are some tips you can follow to protect your AOL mail from Phishing, hacking etc.
- First and foremost, whenever you log into your AOL account from a shared or public device, kindly take a good look at the device for any tracking features. Keep in mind to log out of your account and never ever click on save the password option.
- If you are prompted by any suspicious activity by the AOL, then take the necessary steps given in the mail and review your account.
- Do change your password at least once every three months.
- Do not use your name, date of birth, the name of your pet or many family members. Keep the password a very different one. Use the symbols like – (!@#$%^&*), numbers, and case sensitive words. By this way, the password can be very strong to hack.
- Keep very difficult security questions and answers, which are only known by you.
- Try your maximum to remember your password by heart and do not write it down in any notes.
- Once a while go to your account and click on the option sign out of all devices so that the account where ever you’ve logged in will be signed out. You can do this anytime, so if you have any doubts just do this.
- Update your browser or apps. The updates will contain security fixes for any bugs. So updating will provide you with a secure experience.
- Whenever you use a browser for accessing AOL account use “https://www.aol.com” the ‘s’ in https denotes “secure” browsing and there isn’t any tracking.
- You can also monitor your account activity at Sign into My Account → Click Manage My Account Details → Choose View My Account Activity.
- Opt out of any automatic emails which aren’t subscribed by you.
- If you ever find any malicious activity like someone else tried to log in to your account, immediately change your password and sign out of all devices.
- Use good anti-virus software on your computer and scan your computer routinely. If possible use anti-virus software with the internet security option.
- Do not open any links which seem like a fraud or claiming you’ve won some gift or cash.
- Beware of any unknown emails and report them spam and delete them altogether.
Keep in mind to follow these simple tips. They will help you protect your AOL mail from phishing or hacking. These simple tips will save you from mighty mistakes and troubles. Do share this with your friends and family to ensure privacy and security among us all.