Table of Contents
Microsoft Outlook Not Responding, Stuck at “Processing,” Stopped Working
Microsoft Outlook is without a doubt one of the most versatile email client tools available today, which is why it is used worldwide by organizations of all sizes. But like any other program, Outlook is also vulnerable to errors and problems. As a user, these problems can sometimes be frustrating. A common problem often appears is the “Outlook is not responding” error. To help you fix this error and reduce your frustrations, we have compiled a comprehensive article that will provide you with all the answers to your questions.
Reason Why Microsoft Outlook Not Responding?
- You have not installed the latest updates.
- MS Outlook tries to add an attachment to a user’s email
- MS Outlook is in use by another process or program
- Newly installed plugin interferes with Outlook (see snippet below)
- Your mailbox has reached its maximum capacity
- Your Outlook data files are damaged or corrupted
- Interfere with antivirus software
- Your user profile has been corrupted.
- A conflict between Outlook and another program.
Method 1:- Start Outlook 2016 in Safe Mode and Disable Add-Ins
By installing plug-ins in Microsoft Outlook, you can combine the application with additional features or say functionalities that were not available by default.
But sometimes installed plugins can turn into a big fuss. Then you can try starting Outlook 2016 in Safe Mode and then check which plugin is causing problems with Outlook, to disable that plugin.
Method 2:- Install the latest Windows and Office updates
Outlook works best when it is up to date. We recommend setting Windows Update to automatically download and install recommended updates. Bug fixes, new features, and performance enhancements are released regularly.
If installing the latest update has not solved your problem, go to the next step.
Method 3:- Proper Repair Microsoft Office 2016:
- Shut down all active MS Office applications from the computer system.
- Go to Start and reach to ‘Control Panel’ where users should opt for the Programs and Features’ option.
- In the list of installed programs, right-click Microsoft Office 2016 or Microsoft Office 2013, and then choose Change/Repair.
- Once done and just close all unnecessary programs.
Method 4:- Repair Outlook Data Files
The outlook may stop working or responding if Outlook data files have an error. You can follow below tips to repair Outlook data files:
Step 1. Open Windows File Explorer and go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16.
Step 2. Open “SCANPST.EXT” > Click “Browse” > Select the .pst file you want to scan.
Step 3. Click “Start“. Check “Make a backup of scanned file before repairing” box and click “Repair“. Click “OK” when the repair process completes.